11/4/10

5

I wrote this poem a few years ago.  It was a present to my mom and dad for Christmas that year.  It is one of those poems I go back to when I've lost my way.


grow

Trees are life

In its simplest form.
The trunk is the foundation,
And the branches are the ideas that have shaped the world.
Resistant revolutions.

The twigs are the mistakes we’ve made,
The bombs we dropped,
Going nowhere.
But within those there are our victories,
The fortitude foundations of our imminent future.

I hope your tree never falls.
I hope that someday you can overlook the faults
That interrupt your existence.
Because birds use those twigs,
They make new beginnings in your branches,
And become your connections.
These birds will grow in your arms,
They will fly from your presence,
And you will never see them again.
But let them go
Because freedom flies.

Let your leaves sprout,
They will guard you from the storm,
But don’t disregard the good in your life.
Forgive, and forget
We only have so much time to waste.

I hope you grow tall,
With crevices and cracks in your foundation,
It’s the proof that you lived.

I hope you grow old
Because only then can you have respect for the life
That surrounds us

When time ends
I hope you can look back on your roots,
Of what you’ve done,
And be proud
Of where you’ve been.

I hope you grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment